5 Free Ways to Crop a Video
It might be beneficial to crop your video for many reasons. Maybe you want to remove any unwanted objects that are present in the background of your video. Or, you may want to resize the length or width of your video to better fit the specific frame.
In this article, you'll learn how to crop a video using 5 distinct video editing programs and services.
No matter why you want to cut your video, you'll find all the information and tools you need here. We'll take you through the basics of cropping a video and explain how each of the editors works. So, let's get started!
How we picked video croppers
Selecting the video cropping tools involved considering various criteria to ensure that the chosen options meet user needs effectively:
- Intuitive interface. A user-friendly interface ensures that you can quickly and efficiently crop videos without a steep learning curve.
- Flexible options. A good video cropper should offer flexibility, including aspect ratio adjustments and manual area selection.
- Format support. Users may have videos in different formats, so a versatile tool should be able to handle a range of file types.
Option 1. Icecream Video Editor
Cropping a video with Icecream Video Editor is a straightforward process that yields great outcomes. This way is preferable as it comes at no cost, is easy to employ, and offers many options to make the videos appear polished.
Here is how to crop a video:
- Download and install the free video editing software for Windows.
- Launch the application and click "Add files". Choose the video you wish to trim from your computer.
- Drag and drop the video from the media library to the timeline.
- Click on the "Crop" button underneath the preview window. Resize the frame by dragging its borders.
- Once you are done cropping, click "Apply" and then "Export video" to save your changes.
- Easy-to-use interface. The interface is simple and intuitive, so you can easily find all the necessary tools to edit videos effectively in no time at all.
- Support for various formats. The free video cropper supports all popular formats such as AVI, MP4, MOV, etc., so you can work with any type of video file without any problems.
- Lots of editing features. You can cut, rotate, trim videos, add text or graphics, and apply special effects and filters, making even amateur videos look professional.
- High-quality output. The final output will have high quality even if you are working with low-resolution files thanks to its powerful built-in converter that ensures the best results every time.
- Windows exclusive. The video editor is only available on Windows computers and not accessible for users with other operating systems.
Overall, Icecream Video Editor makes cropping videos easy and fast while providing excellent results and lots of features that will make your projects look amazing!
Option 2. Adobe Premiere Rush
Adobe Premiere Rush is a video editing software that offers a range of tools. Using it to crop video size is an excellent way to guarantee they appear at their finest.
- Open Adobe Premiere Rush on your computer.
- Create a new project and find a video you need to edit.
- Click the "Crop & Rotate" icon in the upper-right corner. You can also use the Ctrl + 6 keyboard shortcut.
- Scroll down and open the "Advanced" menu. Adjust the cropping settings as needed.
- Once you're happy with your selection, click "Share" and choose how you want to save the video.
- User-friendly. Unlike Adobe Premiere Pro, this video cropping tool has an intuitive user interface that makes editing effortless.
- Cloud storage. The software integrates with Adobe Creative Cloud for convenient storage and access to projects from anywhere.
- Advanced features. In addition to basic cropping or cutting features, the program offers more professional tools such as color correction and audio adjustments, which can help take your videos to the next level.
- Cross-platform compatibility. It is available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices, ensuring flexibility in editing across different platforms.
- Resource intensive. The video cropper is resource-intensive, potentially leading to slower performance on less powerful computers or mobile devices.
- Price. Some features like project syncing are only available with a premium subscription.
Overall, Adobe Premiere Rush is a versatile and powerful tool for video cropping and editing, suitable for a wide range of users from beginners to professionals.
Option 3. iMovie
iMovie is Apple's video editing software known for its user-friendly interface and accessibility. Cropping a video with it is a great way to focus on specific elements or scenes within the footage.
Follow this guide to crop a video:
- Open iMovie and add the video you want to crop.
- Move the imported clip to the timeline and click the "Crop" option.
- Select "Crop to Fill" and move the frame that appears on the screen.
- When you are finished, click the "Apply" button and save your changes.
- Availability. The program is available on both macOS and iOS devices, allowing for seamless cross-platform editing.
- Free to use. The free video cropper comes pre-installed on Apple devices, making it a cost-effective solution for basic video editing needs.
- iCloud. The software seamlessly integrates with iCloud, allowing for easy storage and access to projects across multiple devices.
- Dependency on ecosystem. The application relies heavily on the Apple ecosystem, and projects may not be easily transferable to non-Apple devices or software.
- Incompatibility with older devices. Older Mac or iOS devices may struggle to update and run the software efficiently.
Utilizing iMovie to crop your video for free is an ideal method to alter your videos rapidly and conveniently. The intuitive interface makes it easy for anyone to make basic edits.
Option 4. Movie Maker
Movie Maker is a video editing software developed by Microsoft. It was part of the Windows Essentials software suite. It is known for its basic editing features and user-friendly interface, making it accessible for beginners.
Step-by-step guide on cropping a video using it:
- Launch the Windows Movie Maker application on your computer.
- Choose "Create New Project" and then "Add clip" to import the video you want to edit.
- Click on the video clip in the timeline. Under the preview, hit "More tools" and select "Crop video".
- Drag the corners to resize the frame. You can also select the output ratio.
- Once you've set the desired area, apply the changes using the "OK" button and save the video.
- No skills required. You don't need advanced video editing skills to crop a video using such tools, making them suitable for casual users.
- Cost-free. Movie Maker is available for download in the Microsoft Store free of charge.
- Discontinuation. The app has been discontinued by Microsoft, meaning no updates or support are available.
- No 64-bit version. The software was designed as a 32-bit application, which may limit its performance on modern 64-bit operating systems.
- Ads. The inclusion of advertisements within the software potentially disrupts the user experience.
In conclusion, Windows Movie Maker serves as a basic video editing tool, particularly suitable for beginners and those with simple video editing needs.
Option 5. Clideo
Clideo is an easy-to-use online service that offers a video cropping tool to help you quickly edit your videos. It allows you to work on projects directly in your web browser.
Here's how to crop a video online:
- Go to Clideo and select the "Crop" tool.
- Click "Choose file" to upload the video from your device or a cloud storage.
- Select the desired aspect ratio or set the exact size in pixels. You can adjust the frame size and position.
- After you have made your edits, press "Export" and wait for your video to be processed.
- Click "Download" to save the cropped video on your device.
- Web accessibility. The online video cropper allows users to access and use its tools without the need for video editing software installation.
- Import sources. You can upload videos from your computer, Dropbox, Google Drive, or Google Photos.
- Presets. The service provides multiple video cropping options, allowing users to easily adjust the framing of their videos manually or using standard presets.
- Watermark. The free version adds a watermark to the exported videos. It can only be removed with a pro subscription.
- Processing speed. The time needed to process your files may be influenced by server load, leading to potential delays in video cropping.
Overall, cropping a video with Clideo is effective and quick. All users can quickly edit videos with little effort due to its intuitive interface and wide range of sources.
- Is there a difference between trimming and cropping a video?
- Yes, cropping changes the dimensions of the video frame, while trimming adjusts the duration by removing sections from the beginning or end.
- Can I rotate a video when cropping it?
- Yes, many video editing programs provide a tool to rotate rotate clips to fit the desired orientation.
- How do I know what size my cropped video should be?
- This depends on where you plan on sharing the cropped video. Different platforms have their own size requirements for uploaded content. You can consult the platform's guidelines for details about optimal size.
- Can I crop a video without black bars appearing?
- Yes, by selecting the right aspect ratio and ensuring it matches the platform's requirements, you can prevent black bars from appearing.
Tips on how to crop a video
- Aspect ratio. Select the appropriate aspect ratio for your intended use or platform. Common ratios include 16:9 for widescreen and 9:16 for vertical videos on platforms like Instagram.
- Rule of thirds. Use the rule of thirds as a guide when cropping. Place important elements along the imaginary lines or at their intersections for a visually appealing composition.
- Avoid unnecessary cropping. Only crop what is necessary. Excessive cropping might remove valuable context or details from the video and lead to lower resolution.
- Ensure consistency. If you're working with multiple clips, maintain consistency in your video cropping. This helps create a cohesive and professional-looking final product.
- Backup original files. Before making significant edits, create a backup of the original video. This allows you to revert to it if needed.
Cropping a video has never been easier with the aid of these editing tools. Whether you prioritize user-friendly interfaces, advanced features, or specific functionalities, there is a video editor to match your needs.
Tools mentioned in this article will help you crop a single video or prepare many clips for a movie project quickly and easily. So, try them out today and start making your videos look great!