Offline and Online Video Cutters
Video cutters have become an essential asset for content creators, social media enthusiasts, and even everyday hobbyists. They can help you cut away unwanted sections, split long videos into shorter clips, or even join multiple videos together.
But how do you choose the software or service to trim your video? With a wide range of options available on the market, it can be daunting to pick the best video cutter for your needs.
In this article, we will guide you through the top 13 tools to cut videos, both desktop software and online tools. We hope to help you find the perfect choice for your video editing requirements.
How we picked video cutters
Here are some important criteria we considered when choosing video-cutting software and online services:
- Ease of use. The interface should be easy to understand and navigate, especially for beginners.
- Supported formats. The video cutter should support a wide range of formats. This will prevent any compatibility issues when uploading or saving your videos.
- Extra features. Many tools allow you not only to cut videos but also to edit your work more comprehensively.
So, read on to discover the perfect video trimmer that will help you create captivating video content with ideal timing!
Top 13 best video cutters
|Icecream Video Editor
PRO version starts at $29.95
Premium $11.99 per month
|Adobe Premiere Rush
Premium $9.99 per month
PRO version $8.99 per month
|VLC Media Player
|Gihosoft Free Video Cutter
|Free version with a watermark
Full version $16 per month
|Free version with a watermark
Premium version $9 per month
PRO version $8 per month
1. Icecream Video Editor
This free video editing software for Windows users offers a range of features, such as cutting videos, applying filters and effects, and more.
You can effortlessly divide your video into multiple parts or erase unwanted segments:
- Cut videos into parts by selecting the moment on the timeline and clicking the "Split" button.
- Use the trimming tool to select the initial and concluding segments of the video that you wish to retain. Then click "Trim" to save your changes.
If you need to rearrange the clips after you've cut the video, drag and drop them on the timeline in the desired order. This will help create a focused narrative that captures the viewer's attention.
Once you have the segments, export the final video in the desired format like MP4 or WebM or even convert the video to MP3. You can create a link to share the project with other users through social networks.
Despite being favorable to non-technical users, this free video cutter does not compromise on the quality. You will receive professional-level videos that retain their resolution and quality of sound.
Overall, Icecream Video Editor offers a great alternative for those looking for powerful yet uncomplicated video trimming and editing software. With its intuitive interface and comprehensive toolset, it makes creating stunning videos easier than ever before!
- Cutting videos can be done without extensive prior knowledge.
- The editor allows you to get the exact parts you want from a video clip.
- It supports various input and output formats.
- Offers other editing features like adding transitions, text or effects, etc.
- The video trimmer doesn't add a watermark if you have less than 10 clips on the timeline.
- Only works on Windows computers.
iMovie is a free video editing software for macOS and iOS devices. It enables users to quickly create videos, offering a multitude of features such as transitions, titles, captions, music, sound effects, and more.
The clip cutter makes it easy for users to divide a video into parts and join them with other files into one movie.
The program also provides tools for adjusting the timing of clips, adding transitions between them, and cropping the video to the desired size.
The app includes "Smart Collections" which automatically organizes all the content in your library. You can sort the files according to criteria like date taken, location, type of media, or favorite clips. This is very convenient if you have a large photo and video collection.
With its simple interface and powerful editing tools, iMovie is an ideal choice for anyone who desires to easily cut their videos.
- The video cutter is free for all users of Apple devices.
- The learning curve is minimal compared to other professional video-cutting tools.
- Seamlessly integrates with Apple's ecosystem. You can start editing on one device and finish on another.
- Provides access to the iTunes Store where users can purchase additional clips, soundtracks, and other content.
- Supports the editing of 4K videos.
- It's difficult to precisely cut or trim videos. There’s no simple way to fine-tune frames.
- Works only on macOS.
3. Movie Maker
Movie Maker is a video cutter and editor from Microsoft.
It was pre-installed on Windows XP and later versions but was discontinued with the release of Windows 10. Don't worry, it doesn't mean you can't use it if you have Windows 10 or 11. It is still available in the Microsoft Store.
Whether you are trying to split an hour-long lecture into shorter pieces or cut important moments from an event, the "Split video" and "Trim video" tools will help you effectively edit the video length.
You can use the timeline to view and navigate through the clips. Put the vertical line where you want to cut the video and press "Add splinter". Adjust the time scale for a more precise video cutting.
The software is user-friendly and provides other editing tools, such as combining clips, adding music and text, and cropping videos. You can even create collages with videos and photos.
- The video cutter is light on system resources. This makes it attractive for those with older computers or less storage space.
- You can combine the clips into one video and arrange them in the order you like.
- The "Quick Tools" panel allows you to choose the exact option that you need at the moment.
- Although some tools are available in a free version, most of them (including trimming and splitting) require a paid subscription.
- There is no macOS version.
4. Microsoft Photos
The Photos application is a free photo-editing software included in the Windows 10 operating system. Despite the name of the software, it also allows you to view and edit the video length.
The app includes a "Trim" feature which facilitates quickly cutting out unwanted sections of the video. Simply open the video in the app and click "Trim" in the upper left part of the screen. Then adjust the start and end points of the clip to trim your video.
The software allows users to conveniently view, organize, and modify their photos and videos. The app has an easy-to-use interface that makes it convenient to use.
Furthermore, it has powerful tools for creating slideshows and albums.
- The video trimming is faster due to the native optimization with Windows.
- It is a built-in component of Windows 10.
- The video trimmer maintains the original quality, with no degradation in resolution or framerate.
- The software is mainly designed for photo editing and does not offer more advanced video editing.
- You can't divide a video into parts.
Clipchamp is a powerful video editor for Windows users. Its straightforward layout with simple tools and multiple editing features will help you create professional-looking videos in minutes.
The software offers a video-cutting feature, allowing you to trim your videos down to a specific length or remove unwanted sections. You can split videos, rearrange the clips, duplicate, copy, and paste them.
Apart from cutting videos, the program also provides several other editing options. You can add text, transitions, filters, and effects to your videos, as well as adjust the brightness, contrast, and saturation levels. You can also use it to mute the sound or export your video as audio.
There is a paid plan but the only extra features it offers are the export of 4K resolution videos and premium stock, filters, and effects. The free version is more than enough for everyday users. There won't be any watermarks if you don't use pro features.
Overall, Clipchamp is an excellent choice for anyone seeking software equipped with powerful video trimming and editing tools. It's intuitive and packed with features that make it effortless to create high-quality videos free of charge.
- You can conveniently back up and store your projects in the cloud.
- The app provides keyboard shortcuts for most of its features, including video cutting (the
- Edit and trim videos without any upfront costs.
- The software is resource-intensive and may be slow even on powerful computers.
6. Davinci Resolve
Davinci Resolve serves as a powerful video editing program.
You can swiftly cut video clips, add transitions, and rearrange your timeline using drag-and-drop functions. Plus, its timeline view makes it easy to keep track of all your edits.
In addition to cutting videos, you can use the program to color grade your footage using advanced curves and tracking tools. It also offers professional audio recording and mixing capabilities with full control over volume levels, panning, and more.
This all-in-one suite allows users to edit, color grade, and mix their projects from start to finish. Additionally, the software includes an extensive library of stock footage, royalty-free music, and sound effects.
DaVinci Resolve has been used for editing films and TV shows including Avatar, American Horror Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds, La La Land, The Walking Dead, and others.
Overall, Davinci Resolve is a great tool for video editing. It offers an extensive collection of functions that allow you to produce beautiful videos from beginning to end.
- There's a powerful free version that provides a wide range of editing tools.
- The clip cutter is equipped with professional-level features and tools.
- It’s great for short films and music videos.
- It can handle almost every video format available.
- Its professional-grade features also make it complex for beginners or casual users.
- The software requires a powerful computer with a high-end graphics card to use effectively.
7. Adobe Premiere Rush
Adobe Premiere Rush is one of the best free video cutters and editors available. Even beginners can quickly learn the basics and start working on their projects.
The user can quickly access the tools they need without searching through menus or settings. Plus, the software supports keyboard shortcuts (the
S key to split the video), making it easy to create videos efficiently.
After you've cut your MP4 or other type of video, you can quickly add transitions between clips, ensuring a smooth workflow and professional-looking results.
The program also comes with a variety of video editing tools, allowing users to loop, crop, and rotate clips. There are options for adding titles, voiceovers, audio effects, and more.
In summary, Adobe Premiere Rush is a powerful yet easy-to-use tool for creating professional-level videos in no time at all. Its ability to quickly cut video makes it perfect for breaking footage into smaller chunks or larger projects alike.
- The free video trimmer is available to download and use on iOS, Android, and desktop devices.
- The program is easy to navigate and cut videos without extensive technical knowledge.
- If you're using other Adobe products (like Photoshop or After Effects), the integration is seamless.
- The installation process takes a long time as you have to download the Adobe Creative Cloud app first.
Lightworks is a powerful, professional video editor. It is utilized by filmmakers and broadcasters around the world to produce magnificent videos.
The video-cutting software enables people to trim, break apart, and join clips effortlessly. It also has an extensive selection of transitions, effects, and titles for giving your projects a professional look.
The user interface has a drag-and-drop system which makes it easy to move clips around the timeline. There are also advanced features such as multi-track editing and keyframe animation.
If you are used to the keyboard layout of another video editing program (Adobe Premiere, Apple Final Cut, Blackmagic Resolve, etc.), you can choose its layout to be used in Lightworks.
Overall, Lightworks provides an outstanding option for those searching for a powerful video editor with numerous features including video trimming.
- The free video cutter is available for Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- Customize keyboard layout and individual keys at any time.
- Flexible and fixed project layout modes.
- The interface, while powerful and flexible, can be overwhelming.
9. VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is an open-source, cross-platform multimedia player. It supports a wide variety of audio and video formats, including DVD, Blu-ray, 3D, and Ultra HD (4K).
The program allows you to edit the video length. You need to move the slider to the beginning of the segment you want to keep. Then click "Record", play the video, and hit the same button. The trimmed clip will be saved in the original folder.
Aside from cutting videos, the media player also allows you to convert videos to other formats including audio.
Overall, VLC Media Player is an incredibly versatile tool that lets you play all sorts of files and even edit them.
- The video trimmer is free to download and use.
- The media player supports a wide range of input formats.
- It is primarily a media player, not video-cutting software.
- There is no real-time preview.
- The video trimming process can be confusing to first-time users.
10. Gihosoft Free Video Cutter
The video cutter from Gihosoft is a software that enables users to easily trim and split large video files into smaller pieces.
The free video trimmer has a straightforward user interface. All you need to do is select a start and end time for the clip they want to cut. You can do so by choosing the moment on the timeline or by manually setting the time in the text box.
This video trimming software allows you to add multiple files, crop each of them to the desired length, rearrange their order, and merge the clips into one project.
Overall, Gihosoft Free Video Cutter is a great program for people who only want to edit the video length and don't need any additional functions.
- The video trimmer supports a wide range of formats.
- The new clips will have the same quality as the original video.
- You can't preview the results before exporting.
Kapwing is an online multimedia editing platform that allows users to create and edit videos, images, and GIFs. It provides a variety of tools for content creation, including video trimming, adding text, incorporating subtitles, and more.
You can use the "Split" tool to divide the video into parts (the S key shortcut). If you need to edit the video length, there is the "Trim" function available.
Users can export their edited content in various formats. You can even make a GIF from your edited video.
The service offers further resources for experienced users such as layering or adding background music. With its library of free stock images and music, you can easily generate videos without any concerns about copyright issues.
Whether you're a beginner or an experienced editor, Kapwing has something for everyone.
- The platform is known for its user-friendly interface.
- Multiple users can work on a project simultaneously.
- Templates and aspect ratios are optimized for social media platforms.
- Free users can save the video only with a watermark.
Clideo is a web-based video cutting platform. You can cut your video online without the need to download any software.
The platform allows you to either extract or delete the selected segment. You can also choose to add a fade-in or fade-out effect before saving the video.
The online video cutter allows users to change the file format, enabling even to extract the audio track.
Overall, if you are aiming to cut videos or alter them in any manner, Clideo has all the tools you need.
- The video cutter is a separate tool from the video editor.
- You can convert your video to any desired format.
- The free version adds a watermark to all exported videos.
13. Video Candy
Video Candy is a platform that offers an online video trimmer with a simple interface. It allows users to remove unwanted parts of their video in a few clicks. Utilizing its simple drag-and-drop tools, users can rapidly cut video clips without any prior experience.
You can either drag the playhead along the timeline to choose the section you want to keep or select the specific cut timing.
Once you've selected the part you want to keep, you can fade the video to black or mute the audio if needed. The resulting video will be securely stored and prepared for downloading, editing, or sharing.
The service also offers other tools such as video merger, cropper, resizer, and even screen recorder. With their help, users can perform various tasks within the same platform.
Overall, Video Candy is a great online video cutter for beginners and experienced editors alike. You can quickly trim your videos without worrying about complex editing software.
- Remove or extract specific parts.
- No watermarks even in the free version.
- Continue editing the video using other tools.
- Preview the video before downloading it.
- There's a 4 downloads per hour limit for free users.
- Is it possible to cut a video without changing its quality?
- Yes, as long as the software you're using is not re-encoding the video when making cuts (this is often referred to as "lossless"), the quality shouldn't degrade.
- What is the difference between cutting a video and trimming it?
- In strict terms, cutting refers to splitting a video into different sections. Trimming shortens the video by removing footage from the beginning or end. However, they are often used interchangeably.
- Do video cutters also support audio files?
- Yes, many video cutters let you work with audio files as well. You can usually trim the audio, remove the track from a video, and even replace the sound.
- Can I cut videos on my smartphone?
- Absolutely. Both iOS and Android offer native applications for basic editing, including video cutting. Plus, you can use online services that provide more advanced tools.
- Do I need to convert my video to a specific format before cutting?
- Not necessarily. Most modern editing software can handle a variety of common formats (e.g., MP4, MOV, AVI).
- Does cutting the video reduce its size?
- Yes, removing sections of a video reduces its duration and therefore the size of the file. If the file is still too large for your needs, you can use a video compressor.
- Can I join the parts I cut from different videos into a new one?
- Yes. This process is called merging videos, and many video editing tools offer this feature.
Tips on using any video cutter
- Create a backup of the video before you start cutting it. You never know what could go wrong!
- Check the file format to make sure it's compatible with the video cutter you plan to use. Converting your video to MP4, a widely accepted format, may help if you're having compatibility trouble.
- Organize files into folders so they're easier to locate and open when you're ready to cut your video.
- Trim unwanted footage first, then add effects and transitions if needed. This will help avoid any awkward pauses between different clips.
- Check the audio levels before saving the video. Low or distorted audio can have a negative effect on your final product.
- Preview the edited video before saving it. This will provide you with the opportunity to make any last-minute adjustments if needed.
- Be creative with your editing and don't be afraid to experiment. You may discover unexpected features and create something unique!
As you can see, each of the video cutters listed above has its unique features, pros, and cons. Some are more suited for professionals who need a wide range of advanced tools, while others cater more to beginners or users who prefer simplicity and ease of use.
Remember that the best video cutter is not necessarily the most expensive or the most feature-rich. It's the one that fits your specific needs and tech-savviness.
Give the video trimming tools mentioned in this article a try to see which one can make you the maestro of your video editing process. Experiment with different applications until you discover the one that best suits your style and needs.