Tutorial on How to Record Skype Video Calls on PC
Virtual communication plays an integral role in connecting people across the globe. Whether you're engaging in professional discussions or catching up with loved ones, knowing how to record Skype video calls on your PC can be a game-changer.
In this article, we will guide you through the 4 simple methods for recording Skype video calls. You don't have to buy any fancy or expensive programs - all you need is your PC, screen recording software, and a few clicks. So, let's get started!
How we picked Skype video call recorders
Selecting the best ways to record videos on Skype involved careful consideration of various factors to ensure optimal performance and user satisfaction.
- Ease of use. A good recorder should have an intuitive interface, making it easy to navigate and start recording without a steep learning curve.
- Recording quality. The program must capture video and audio with high quality to preserve the essence of the conversation.
- Compatibility. The software should seamlessly integrate with Skype, ensuring stable performance and reliable recording without disruptions.
Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder is a user-friendly program for capturing screen activity on your computer. It is a great way to record Skype video calls and other types of content.
- Download free screen capture software and install it on your PC.
- Once the Skype call has begun, open the screen recorder and click the "Capture video" button.
- Select the recording mode (full screen, custom area, etc.).
- Use the toolbar to choose whether you would like to capture audio from your microphone or system sounds.
- Hit the "Record" button or press F7 to capture your screen. The recording will begin after a countdown.
- When the call is finished, select the "Stop" option from the toolbar or hit F8 on your keyboard.
- The program allows you to preview and edit the recorded video. If satisfied, save it to your desired location.
- Recording options. The software offers various recording modes, such as full screen, selected area, or specific application windows, providing flexibility in capturing Skype calls.
- Audio sources. Users can capture audio from the system and microphone simultaneously. This way you will be able to record Skype calls with sound from both participants.
- Editing features. The screen recorder provides basic video editing tools, allowing users to trim, cut, or annotate recorded content.
- Control over the process. During the call, you can pause or stop the recording by clicking on the corresponding buttons in the toolbar or by using hotkeys F7 and F8.
- Output formats. The program supports various video formats, giving users flexibility in choosing the file type that suits their needs for sharing or further editing.
- Recording history. The application includes the "History" tab that allows users to manage and locate their past recordings easily.
- Schedule. The video recording software has scheduled recording option, enabling you to automate the process of recording your Skype calls at specific times.
In conclusion, Icecream Screen Recorder is a reliable and efficient way to record Skype video calls on a PC. Its user-friendly interface and customizable options make it a preferable choice for both personal and professional use.
Built-in Skype call recorder
The video recording functionality built into Skype makes capturing video calls on a computer effortless. It facilitates the recording of both audio and video during a call or a screen-sharing session. However, this method has more limitations than third-party programs.
- Open the Skype application on your PC and log in to your account.
- Initiate or join a video call with the person you want to record.
- Click "Record". Skype will start capturing both the video and audio of the call or screen share.
- To end the recording session, select "Stop recording". The recorded video will be sent to the chat.
- Convenience. The built-in feature eliminates the need for third-party recording tools, making it convenient for users who prefer an integrated solution.
- Free of charge. Users can utilize the built-in screen recording feature without incurring additional costs, making it a cost-effective solution.
- No editing. The lack of built-in editing tools restricts users who want to crop or trim the video after recording.
- Incompatibility with some versions. The recording feature is not available on Skype for Web or Skype Lite.
Overall, using the Skype integrated recording function is a fantastic way to record video chats on your desktop.
OBS Studio is a free and open-source screen recording software for video recording and live streaming. It allows for effortless recording your Skype video calls and provides you with complete control over the process.
- Download OBS Studio from their official website and install it on your computer.
- Open Skype and go to "Tools" > "Options" > "General Settings" > "Audio and Video Settings".
- In the "Microphone" section, select "OBS Virtual Camera" as your input device.
- In OBS Studio, hit "+" in the "Sources" section and choose "Display Capture".
- Click "Start Recording" and begin your Skype call.
- Once you are done with the call, end the recording by selecting the "Stop Recording" button.
- Open-source. The screen capture software is free to use and open-source, making it accessible to a wide range of users without any cost.
- Versatility. The program allows users to not only record Skype video calls but also capture gameplay, tutorials, live streams, and more.
- Customizable settings. You have granular control over recording settings, including video quality, resolution, and audio configurations.
- Platform compatibility. The screen recorder is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux, providing a consistent experience across different operating systems.
- Learning curve. Setting up OBS Studio for the first time may require some technical knowledge.
- Resource intensive. It may use up more of your computer's resources compared to alternative programs for recording your screen.
OBS Studio offers a powerful and versatile solution for recording Skype calls, providing a range of features that cater to a diverse set of users.
Bandicam is screen recorder designed to capture screen activity, record gameplay, and take screenshots on Windows computers.
- Download and install Bandicam on your PC from the official website.
- Launch it and select the "Specific window " mode on the "Home" page.
- The screen will get dark, prompting you to select the window you wish to capture.
- Click the "Record" button to start recording.
- Once you have finished your Skype call, click the "Stop" button or press F12.
- Intuitive design. The Skype video recorder has a simple and easy-to-use interface, making it accessible to users of all levels.
- Recording settings. You have the option to pick which part of your screen you desire to capture. This allows for a more focused recording of Skype video calls.
- Advanced features. In addition to recording your screen, the program also offers features such as adding mouse click effects and drawing on the screen.
- Limited free version. While Bandicam does offer a free version, it has a limited recording time (10 minutes) and adds a watermark to your videos.
- Only available for Windows. The screen recording software is exclusively designed for Windows, making it inaccessible for Mac or Linux users.
Bandicam is known for its high-quality video recording and relatively low impact on system performance. This makes it popular among gamers, content creators, and those who need to create tutorials or presentations.
- What is the necessary memory space for recording Skype video calls on my PC?
- The amount of storage space needed depends on the length and quality of the recorded video. Typically it requires around 1GB per hour of recording.
- Will the other person know if I am recording our Skype video call?
- If you use the built-in recording feature, Skype will notify all parties involved in the call when the recording starts or stops.
- Can I record only audio on Skype?
- Yes, Icecream Screen Recorder allows you to record only audio from your Skype calls.
- What file formats should I use to record my Skype calls?
- Common formats include MP4, AVI, and others, depending on the recording tool.
- How can I improve audio quality in Skype call recordings?
- Use a quality microphone, reduce background noise, and adjust audio settings in your recording tool.
- Can I record group calls on Skype?
- Yes, all methods mentioned in this article support capturing both one-on-one and group Skype calls.
- Are there any limitations to the built-in Skype call recorder?
- Skype's built-in recording tool has a 1080p resolution cap and doesn't provide any annotation and editing features.
- How do I access my recorded Skype calls?
- Skype stores recorded calls in the chat where the call took place. Third-party services allow you to choose the output folder for the recorded calls.
Tips on how to record Skype video calls
- Check privacy laws. Familiarize yourself with the legalities of recording conversations in your country or state. In many places, it is essential to inform all parties involved and obtain consent before recording. Make sure you comply with privacy laws.
- Adjust settings. Configure the recording parameters in your chosen software. Ensure that both video and audio settings are optimized for your needs, including resolution, frame rate, and audio sources.
- Test your setup. Conduct a test recording before your actual Skype call starts to check the quality of the video and audio. Verify that your microphone and camera are functioning correctly.
- Prepare your workplace. Choose a quiet and well-lit environment to record your Skype calls. Minimize background noise and eliminate potential distractions to maintain focus on the conversation.
- Check storage space. Large video files can quickly consume storage, so ensure you have enough space for your recordings.
- Update programs. Keep your screen recording software and Skype application up to date. Regular updates often include bug fixes, improvements, and new features, ensuring a smoother recording experience.
- Use headphones. Wear headphones when recording Skype calls to minimize the risk of audio feedback or echo.
- Protect sensitive information. Be cautious about recording and sharing personal information during Skype calls. If necessary, use a video editor to blur personal data like names and phone numbers before sharing the recording.
If you're using Skype for Business, make sure to enable recording in your account settings beforehand.
You are now equipped with the knowledge of how to record your Skype video calls! With the simple steps outlined in this article, you can easily capture and save important conversations, interviews, or meetings for later use.
Whether you're a business professional, student, or simply looking to stay connected with loved ones, recording Skype calls can come in handy in many situations.
Remember to always inform the other participants that the call is being recorded and respect their privacy.
Now go ahead and give it a try!