How to Convert Any Video to QuickTime Format
In this article, we will discuss 5 ways how to convert a video to the QuickTime format. We will focus on the quality of the conversion as well as other features that the program or the service has to offer.
Many people use QuickTime player as their primary media tool. However, this media player is quite picky with formats and wouldn’t play each and every video file. The wisest decision in this case is to convert those formats to one that is native for the program - MOV.
Read on to find the perfect QuickTime converter for you!
What is the QuickTime video format?
In today's world of developing technologies, video converting from one format to another is a usual task for many people. Sometimes it's done to save storage space or adjust the resolution. However, in some cases, conversion is needed to fit the specific program's requirements.
Before we begin, here is a short description of the QuickTime format and its specifics.
The QuickTime File Format (QTFF) is an Apple-designed video format with the MOV extension. QuickTime is based on the MPEG-4 format, and is technically very similar to it. 
The MOV format is great for sharing digital media between different devices, applications, and operating systems, thanks to its ability to describe almost any media structure.  It is capable of holding audio, video, and text in the same file but on different tracks. 
In general, QuickTime has a strong multimedia capability that produces excellent sound and video with reduced file sizes.
How we picked MOV converters
To come up with this guide, we considered free converters that can be used on different operating systems or online. They are all well-known and reliable tools that you can implement into your daily working routine.
In the review, we focused on the ease of use, the number of input formats supported, limitations of free versions, and supplementary features.
1. Icecream Video Converter
If you want to convert an existing video to QuickTime format, many different video converters can complete the task. One of such helpers is Icecream Video Converter. This is a popular software that is capable to convert to MOV almost any video format.
Follow the steps outlined below to use this program:
Step 1. Download the free video converter for PC. Complete the installation process and launch the app.
Step 2. Import the videos into the converter with the "Add file" button or drag and drop directly into the working window. You can upload several videos at once with the "Add to queue" option.
Step 3. Choose "MOV" as the output format. Adjust the settings of the resulting file, like resolution and quality. Pick the destination folder.
Step 4. Hit "Convert" to begin processing.
- Free and reliable. This is a free video to MOV converter that anyone can use.
- Wide range of formats supported. Accommodates multiple video formats, including AVI, MPG, MPEG, WMV.
- Built-in editing tools. Offers to trim your videos before converting them.
- Batch conversion. Multiple files can be processed simultaneously.
- Additional converting capabilities. Allows to transform to other supported formats as well as to convert a video to audio.
- Limited OS support. The video converter only has a version for Windows computers.
2. 1-Click Video Converter
Transforming video files to the MOV format is often essential for observing videos on Apple gadgets and programs. Fortunately, 1-Click Video Converter makes this process easy and convenient.
Here's the instruction how to use it:
Step 1. Download and install the software.
Step 2. Open the program. Click "Add File" to import files into the video converter. Pick the video/videos to upload. Hit "Open".
Step 3. In the profile field at the bottom of the screen, with the arrow down icon open the list of output formats. From the subdivision "General Video", pick "MOV - QuickTime Video". Use "Browse" to select the "Destination".
Step 4. Hit the blue "Convert" button to initiate the processing. When done, press "Completed" to return to the main window.
- Easy to use. The program offers a pretty straightforward way to convert videos to MOV.
- Formats compatibility. It works with numerous well-known video types, like MP4, AVI, etc.
- OS support. There are versions for macOS and Windows.
- Overloaded interface. The amount of available output formats can be overwhelming and confuse some users.
CloudConvert is an effective online video converter that is capable of converting media files into QuickTime video format. It provides a straightforward and expeditious way to have your videos ready for playback on any device.
Check this guide to complete the task effortlessly:
Step 1. Visit the converting website. In the "Tools" menu, choose "Video Converter".
Step 2. Pick the "MOV Converter" from the list of tools. Click the Select Files button at the top of the page to upload your videos. You can import several ones using the "Add more files" button.
Step 3. From the dropdown list "Convert to" select "MOV". Hit "Convert".
Step 5. Once the task is completed, click on the "Download" to save the file to your computer.
- Cloud storage integration. The tool allows you to upload files from Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, and via URL.
- Range of supported formats. You can convert to and from AVI, MP4, MPG, MOV, WMV, MKV, and more.
- Free web-based tool. This is the online MOV converter that does not require you to sign up to use it.
- Bulk upload. You can convert several video files to QuickTime at the same time.
- Limitations. The free version limits you to only 5 concurrent conversions and with the max file size of 5 GB.
- Confusing prices. Some people may find the pricing structure for premium accounts unclear or too expensive for their needs.
If you're looking for a free way to save your videos with the QuickTime file extension, then you should consider using FreeConvert. This online platform allows you to quickly and easily convert to MOV, so you can share them with friends or watch the Quicktime videos on any device that supports the format.
Here's the guide how to get the job done with this tool:
Step 1. Go to the website and select the "Tools" tab. There, pick "Video Converter".
Step 2. Click the "Choose Files" button and select the video file you wish to transform to QuickTime format.
Step 3. On the next page, under "Output" choose "MOV".
Step 4. Hit the "Convert" button and wait for processing to finish. Use "Download" to save your MOV video.
- Online cloud storages integration. You can convert files from Dropbox or Google Drive, and upload them back after processing.
- Simple and convenient. The online video converter does not require registration and is easily understood even by inexperienced customers.
- Limited formats support. Compared to other MOV converters, supports fewer input and output video types.
- Cap on the number of conversions. If you use the tool for free, you are restricted to 25 conversion minutes per day.
5. QuickTime Player
Some of the video files can be converted to the MOV format with the QuickTime Player itself. The program doesn't have a specific conversion mode, but still can transform video into QuickTime files.
Read below to find out how:
Step 1. Open the video you want to convert to MOV with the program.
Step 2. Go to the "File" menu and pick "Export As". From the dropdown list choose the desired resolution.
Step 3. Give the new file name and pick the destination folder. Hit "Save". Access your MOV video in the chosen location.
- Quick and free. Exporting a video as a MOV file with the same program you will use to play it is the most convenient way.
- Comparison ability. You will be able to compare which format is best for your video by playing the input and output formats.
- Additional functionality. Some extra features are available for users. For example, video trimming and even screen recording.
- Limited formats support. You can only convert to MOV videos in MP4, M4A, M4V, and MPEG-2 formats.
As you prepare to convert your video to MOV, keep in mind the important tips that can be used for any type of conversion.
- Use a reliable converter. Make sure to download a video converter that has good reviews and has no reports of malware.
- Organize your files. Gather the files you plan to convert to MOV into one folder so that you don't have to look for them all over.
- Test different settings. Try various settings for your output file, such as resolution and bitrate, to get the optimum results.
- Check compression rate. Check the compression rate of your converted videos to make sure they are in the best quality possible while still being small enough for easy storage/sharing.
- Backup important files. Don't forget to backup your files before you start converting, just in case something goes wrong during the process.
Using a QuickTime converter to save files in the MOV format is a straightforward process.
You'll need to download an appropriate converter, prepare your source files, and choose the output format that you prefer. It's important to pay attention to the settings in each step of the process, as this will determine the quality of the converted file.
By looking at the provided review and the offered tips, you'll be capable to convert any video to QuickTime rapidly and effortlessly.