4 Ways to Screen Record Snapchat
Snapchat is a popular social media platform that removes snaps and stories from the recipient's feed after it is viewed. But sometimes you want to capture the moment for posterity or share a funny picture with others. That's where Snapchat screen recorders come in.
In this article, we'll explain how to save Snapchat videos and photos using both built-in and third-party options.
So if you're ready to discover how to document your snaps with a screen recorder, let's get going!
Option 1. Desktop Snapchat screen recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder is a free program that provides a simple and intuitive interface with all the necessary tools to screen record your Snapchat activities. It's compatible with both Windows and Mac computers.
- Download free screen recording software and install it on your computer.
- Launch the app and adjust the recording parameters such as the output format, hotkeys, and video quality according to your preferences.
- Open Snapchat in your browser or get the desktop version. Log in to your account and choose the snap or story that you want to record.
- Return to the free screen recorder and click "Capture video". Select the "Custom area" option and choose the part of your screen where Snapchat is displayed.
- Then press "Rec" to begin screen recording your Snapchat session.
- Once you have finished, just hit "Stop" or F8 hotkey and save the recorded video to your computer.
- Screenshot tool. The program allows users to get still Snapchat screenshots, useful for capturing specific moments.
- Recording frame. Users can easily resize and position the frame to capture specific areas of the screen, ensuring precision when recording content.
- Configurable quality. The screen recorder allows you to adjust the video quality settings, resulting in high-resolution snap recordings.
- Customizable hotkeys. It is possible to assign hotkeys for starting, pausing, and stopping the recording, streamlining the experience while using Snapchat.
- Schedule. The Snapchat screen recording software features a scheduling option, allowing users to set a specific time for the recording to start automatically.
In conclusion, Icecream Screen Recorder serves as an excellent way to save Snapchat videos and pictures with ease. It provides all the features you need in one easy-to-use package, making it an ideal choice for anyone looking to record their Snapchat activities.
Option 2. Built-in screen recorders
Most of the devices we use daily come equipped with built-in screen recording features. Below you'll find the instructions on how to screen record Snapchat using native tools of iOS, Android, Windows, and MacOS devices.
- On your iPhone, open the Settings app and tap "Control Center".
- Find "Screen Recording" in the list and tap the green "+" icon next to it.
- Open Snapchat and navigate to the chat you want to record.
- Swipe down from the upper-right corner (iPhone X and later) or swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen (iPhone 8 and earlier) to open Control Center.
- Tap the record button (the circle with the dot in the middle).
- When you're done recording, press the red dot at the top and select "Stop".
- The screen-recorded Snapchat video will be stored in your Photos app.
If you want to record screen with sound, press and hold the recording button, then tap the microphone icon to enable audio.
- Open the Snapchat app on your device.
- Swipe down from the top of your screen and activate the recording by tapping the icon.
- Your phone will screen capture the activity, including any snaps you view or send.
- Once you are done recording, tap the "Stop" icon in the notification bar.
- You can find the recorded video in your Gallery.
If you can't find the screen recording option in Quick Settings, you may need to go to your device's settings and enable it. The location of this setting varies depending on your device and Android version.
Starting with Windows 10, there is a built-in tool called the Game Bar that includes screen recording functionality.
- Press the Win + G keyboard shortcut to open the Game Bar.
- In the top part you'll see a toolbar with various options. Select "Capture".
- Click the "Start recording" button (circle icon) to screen capture the desired Snapchat dialog.
- To end recording, either press the Win + Alt + R shortcut or hit the "Stop" button.
- The recording will be saved to your designated "Captures" folder by default (C:/Users/YourUsername/Videos/Captures).
- Open the Screenshot toolbar by pressing the ⌘ (Command) + Shift + 5 buttons simultaneously.
- Choose between "Record Entire Screen" and "Record Selected Portion" on the toolbar.
- If you need to capture just the Snapchat window, opt for the second option and highlight the desired area.
- Click "Record" and open the content you want to save.
- Press ⌘ (Command) + Control + Escape to end Snapchat screen recording.
Note that video recording functionality is only available with macOS Catalina 10.15 or newer.
Advantages and disadvantages of using built-in recording tools
- Accessibility. Such tools provide a quick and easy way to screen record Snapchat content without the need for software installations.
- User-friendly. They are designed with simplicity in mind. This makes them easy to use for individuals with varying levels of technical expertise.
- Terms of service. Using the official video recording tools is more likely to comply with Snapchat's terms of service, reducing the risk of being banned or restricted.
- Limited functionality. Built-in tools may lack advanced features that third-party apps provide, such as video editing and annotating.
Option 3. Screen mirroring
Screen mirroring is a method that allows you to display and screen record the content of your mobile device on a computer or TV.
- Install software that supports your specific device and operating system. Examples include AirServer for Windows/Mac or LonelyScreen for Windows.
- Ensure that your smartphone (where Snapchat is installed) and your computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Enable screen mirroring:
- For iOS: Swipe down from the top right of the screen to open Control Center, tap "Screen Mirroring", and select your computer from the list.
- For Android: Use the built-in feature (this might be called "Smart View", "Screen Sharing", or a similar term) in the settings.
- With screen mirroring active, open Snapchat on your mobile device.
- On your computer, use the screen recording software to capture the mirrored Snapchat content.
- Convenient editing. Video editing on a computer is often more convenient and offers more features compared to mobile devices.
- Recording control. Using a computer provides more control and options for capturing Snapchat content, such as selecting recording areas.
- Compatibility issues. Some screen mirroring software may have compatibility issues with specific devices or operating systems.
- Complex setup. Setting up the program and recording may be more complex for users who are not familiar with the process.
Option 4. Snapchat's Memories feature
Snapchat Memories allow users to save and revisit their snaps and stories. It's a great way to save Snapchat videos and other content you've sent someone.
How to save content to Memories:
- Open the Snapchat app. Take a photo or record a video as you normally would.
- Tap the small save icon at the bottom of the screen (it looks like a downward-facing arrow).
- Select "Memories" or "Memories & Camera Roll" (the second option will also export your snap to the device's storage).
How to access Memories:
- From the main camera screen, swipe up to access the "Memories" menu.
- You'll find 4 tabs: "Snaps", "Camera Roll", "Stories", and "My Eyes Only".
- Explore your saved content by swiping left or right.
The Memories menu has a search feature. You can type keywords, locations, or dates to find specific snaps or stories.
- Media library. The ability to create a personal media library within Snapchat makes it easy to access and organize saved content.
- Story creation. Users can curate and create Stories from saved Snaps, providing a way to share a sequence of moments with friends.
- Editing. Users can edit videos and photos, adding filters, text, and other creative elements.
- Storage space. This function provides a private storage space within the app, reducing the need to clutter the device's camera roll.
- Organization challenges. As the number of saved Snaps grows, organizing and managing the timeline may become challenging.
Understanding Snapchat's policies
Snapchat has policies in place regarding screen recording to protect user privacy and maintain the ephemeral nature of the content on its platform.
Here are some general aspects of policies regarding Snapchat screen recording:
Snapchat sends a notification to users when someone takes a screenshot of their Snap or records a screen while viewing their content on both iOS and Android. This notification is intended to make users aware of the actions taken on their shared content.
- Ephemeral nature
Snapchat encourages users to share moments knowing that they will disappear after being viewed. Screen recording can potentially violate this concept.
By following Snapchat's policies and guidelines, users can keep their accounts safe and secure while still having fun with friends and family.
- Does Snapchat notify about screen recordings?
- Yes, when a user takes a screenshot or uses a screen recording application while viewing a Snap or a Story, Snapchat sends a notification to the person who posted the content. However, Snapchat can't track screen recording on a PC.
- Is it legal to record someone on Snapchat?
- Generally, it's not allowed to capture someone without their knowledge or approval. Check your local laws before recording other people.
- What are the consequences of illegal screen recording on Snapchat?
- These may include warnings, temporary account suspension, or permanent ban, depending on the severity and frequency of the violation.
- Can I record video calls on Snapchat?
- Yes, a majority of screen recorders support recording both video and audio calls.
- How do I share my recordings with others?
- Most video recorders let you save the recordings in multiple formats such as MP4, AVI, MOV, and more. You can easily send them to others online or through messaging apps.
Tips on using Snapchat screen recorders
- Disable notifications. Turn off notifications to avoid distractions during recording.
- Respect privacy. Avoid sharing or distributing content without permission, and be mindful of the content you create.
- Avoid sensitive content. Refrain from screen recording private content. Be aware that unauthorized capturing of private messages or content can lead to consequences.
- Notification awareness. Remember that Snapchat notifies users when you take a screenshot or record a screen. Be transparent and considerate of the fact that users are aware of your actions.
- Use editing tools. Pick a screen recorder with built-in editing tools. This way, you can cut out unnecessary parts and focus only on the important story.
- Avoid content alteration. Don't alter screen-recorded content in a way that misrepresents the original context or intention. This includes avoiding deceptive edits or manipulations.
Knowing how to screen record Snapchat is a great way to save memories and have a good laugh with friends. We hope this guide has helped you find a straightforward method to capture your videos.
So go ahead and start recording those funny snaps! Now that you understand the procedure for capturing Snapchat, the possibilities are endless. Have fun!